Re[2]: Passive voice

Subject: Re[2]: Passive voice
From: Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- PROTEON -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 13:37:00 EST

...told me that students of his generation in the U. K. were
taught to write in the passive voice because the resulting
text would translate more easily into the Romance languages.
U. S. writers, he told me, have less reason to expect that
their work will ever be translated, and are therefore
encouraged to write in the more concise active voice.

I think we have just been insulted. Why would U.S. writers
have less reason to expect their work will be translated?
What have the Brits got that we U.S. writers supposedly
don't.

**Proximity! %^)
-Sue