Re: Smileys

Subject: Re: Smileys
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 15:30:44 -0600

I'm not a smiley expert, and although I know there are
some ftp-able lists out there, I'm not sure of the
addresses.

I *do* have my very own copy of the book, _Smileys :-)_
published by O'Reilly & Associaties, Inc., of over
650 smileys complied by David Sanderson. O'Reilly also
publishes _The Whole Internet_.

The book is small, and I think it is about $4.50, but
I got mine for Christmas! :-)

I think I'll start using smileys in my .sig. (That
is, if I start using a .sig.) To get us started, here
is Sanderson's first entry under "Style and Usage":

"Smileys convey a broad range of emotions expressed sideways."

The Standard Smiley :-)

You are joking.
You are satisfied.
This is the only smiley you know.

His examples:

Why not make the same mistakes everyone else makes? :-)

How should I know? I got it for free. :-)

-----end of quote---

More to come...

LaVonna lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com