Electronic Mail

Subject: Electronic Mail
From: MSTSACX -at- GSUVM1 -dot- BITNET
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 23:16:10 EST

Sarah asked about censorship of electronic mail.

Here are some possible sources, but none are nearby so I don't have
thorough cites and some of my facts might be confused:

o Sproull and Kiesler explore the issue of censorhip in their 1990 book
(MIT Press, but I forget the exact title and the date might be 1989 or
1991). As I recall, they found that most attempts to censor e-mail
to be ineffective, just like attempts to limit personal calls on
work time.

o In its cover story on e-mail, IEEE Spectrum (September 92, I believe)
explores some censorship issues (but not in detail). The one fact I
remember is that the Soviet Coup in the summer of 1991 failed because
the leaders didn't know about e-mail, so people were able to send
messages describing the situation outside of the country without any
difficulty.

You might also contact the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which explores
some of these issues. I think they're based in DC. I think the e-mail
address is eff.org.

Hope this helps.

"
Saul Carliner Ph.D. Student
Instructional Technology Geo. State Univ.
Note new userid----> mstsacx -at- gsuvm1 -dot- gsu -dot- edu 404/892-3945