e-mail censorship and company policy

Subject: e-mail censorship and company policy
From: Simon North <north -at- KNOWARE -dot- NL>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 17:15:05 LCL

In article "Sarah T. Harris" <STH -at- ALPHA -dot- SUNQUEST -dot- COM> writes that she wants
help and info about e-mail censorship.

Well, the company I work for tried to fire me for so-called mis-use of e-mail.
They have a company policy and a published set of rules but, apparently,
subscribing to this list qualified as 'personal use'. Further, I was accused of
involving the company in 'sensitive' and 'emotive' topics that, when taken out
of context could be used to bring the company into disrepute. (all the outgoing
mail is screened by security - hence I now do all my e-mailing from home -
despite the fact that my new boss has expressed his gratitude for the work I
have done in gathering important information for us - my job is to supervise
the adoption of new document technologies). To cut a long story short, I
fought the case and won. They had to pay my legal costs and reinstate me.

Since this is a sensitive issue, I would prefer to answer direct questions if
you want to know more ... that way I can decide in advance whether I am about
to put my foot in it again or not.

Simon North FISTC.