Re: E-Prime

Subject: Re: E-Prime
From: Stan Andermann <ANDERMANN -at- SCSUD -dot- CTSTATEU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 20:36:10 -0500

It sounds to me that E-Prime is more than the verb "to be"
but all linking verbs. Is that right? (Or should I just ask:
Right?)

Since you can't say "This is E-Prime" in E-Prime, how do you
get around it? Something like "I write in E-Prime?" or
something?

This technique seems interesting since there's always a more
expressive word to use in place of "to be". However, the
passive voice should be mastered, not slaughtered. Where
would we be without the line in _Death of a Salesman_
"Respect will be given!" That's passive voice used at its
ultimate excellence!!

Like any technique, E-Prime seems to have some good aspects
and benefits. It also has some faults. Let's not rid the
prose we write of either the verb "to be" or the passive
voice. Instead, let's use them intelligently instead of
abundantly.