pubs and the STC annual conference

Subject: pubs and the STC annual conference
From: "Usability Expertise Center ph.603.881.2430" <raven -at- USABLE -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 09:05:20 EST

David Farkas said he hoped we didn't mind if he mentioned his own
publications...and I say, of course not!

I like to know what else this "virtual community" is doing, especially
if it pertains to the field. Speaking of publications, I just received
my advance program for the annual STC conference...and I noticed that
there are many names from this list who will be giving papers or
workshops.

For example, our own E.J. Ray will be talking about the internet...How
Appropriate! Many of these talks will also have companion papers in
the proceedings (so that's where the publications part comes in).

I say, feel free to mention your presentation in the list--maybe it
will drum up interest and increase attendance at the conference.

I'm thinking of buying the proceedings since I won't be able to attend
this year. Here's something for us all--and the STC--to think about:

The STC owns the copyright to the papers published in the proceedings.
Therefore, I do not think it would be appropriate for people like Eric
to publish his paper on this techwr-list. However, Could/would the STC
consider making proceedings available online? If not everybody submits
their papers online, is there a way that some authors, like Eric, (and
LaVonna, did I see your name there, too?) could post their papers to
the list without violating the copyright?

Just a heady thought on a Friday morning before my donut...
Mary Beth Raven
Digital Equipment Corp.
Nashua, NH
Raven -at- usable -dot- dec -dot- com