Re: luminous vs. light as adjectives

Subject: Re: luminous vs. light as adjectives
From: Robert Bononno <bononno -at- ACF2 -dot- NYU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 1994 23:51:57 -0500

On Sun, 13 Feb 1994, Paul David Marvel wrote:

> Yeah, I see the problem with the logic, but I think I've found a
> dog that hunts.

Arf, arf. Where did you dig that one up?

> In physics, the words on this list which have luminous in the
> English gloss refer to brightness of visible light. For example,
> the total rate of energy coming from an EM source is its radiant
> flux, measured in watts. The part that's in the visible spectrum
> is its luminous flux, measured in lumens. The other terms work
> the same way. This should also account for the photon in your

I guess this would work. Seems like we're back to luminous as a measure
of quantity and light as a property of "light."
How would this account for photon though, which would be a photon of
visible light (not being quantified here). Maybe there is no logic to
this question.

(I'm also having trouble with Pine. I have a ton of mail messages and
Pine stops responding from time to time. Grrrr..........)

> I don't know enough technical French vocabulary to confirm or
> deny so let me know if plan B works with terms not on this list.
> If it does, I think we can call luminous a modifier.

It's definitely a modifier <g>, but what do I do with "light".

Robert Bononno
bononnoAacf2.nyu.edu