Jargon; to medal; intro. David B.; rhetoric of science

Subject: Jargon; to medal; intro. David B.; rhetoric of science
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 12:13:05 -0600

subjects: verbing _medal_, jargon, introducing David, rhetoric of science

A new subscriber to our list, David Bleckley, sent me
the message below in response to my inquiry about the
verb "to medal." I thought others might enjoy his comments,
so I received permission to post it to the list. At the
end of his message, David introduces himself and seeks information that
might help him in his pursuit of studies in the rhetoric of science.

BTW, other private responses included some who said
they first noticed the verb used in 1992, and one person who
said that other similar verbs (namely, "to ribbon")
are used in other competitions. Personally, I am not
really bothered by the verb (even though it does have
a homophone), but I (and other respondees) would choose
to say "win a medal." I've noticed that CBS seems to be
deliberately choosing to use "to medal"; I've not heard
it on National Public Radio or read it in magazines.

LaVonna Funkhouser lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com
president-elect Oklahoma chapter of STC