Re: Journalism and technical communication

Subject: Re: Journalism and technical communication
From: Sue Stewart <suepstewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 10:54:56 EST

Based on my own background -- degrees in both English and Journalism -- I
feel Journalism training is a far better background for the technical
writing. Journalism, like TW, is focused on *communication,* as opposed to
the esthetics of language. Journalism values brevity and clarity, important
features of TW which are much less important in the English department. J*
and TW could share the motto, "D*** the BS, full speed ahead!" Get the job
done, never mind the philosophy.

Now, before the flame throwers come out of their holsters, I'm not knocking
in-depth analytical writing, thematic appreciation, or any of the other
wonderful forms of expression that come out of the English department.
Everything has its place; I don't read the Microsoft Word manual for
pleasure, and I don't read Faulkner to develop technical skills.

Sue Stewart
suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com