Re: NEW QUESTION

Subject: Re: NEW QUESTION
From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 1994 08:49:14 -0500

Matthew Wong isn't the first to say something like this, in regard
to tech writer salaries:
>* buy lottery tickets or marry rich :>) (there's got to be an easier way to
>make a living)

I don't make quite as much as my college friends who are now engineers
(electrical, mechanical, civil, etc.). But I'm doing okay.

I have another perspective, though. I'm just as qualified to work on the
air in radio as I am as a tech writer; matter of fact, I jock at the local
rock station on the weekends for fun. Once, they offered me the prized
weeknight (7-midnight) spot. Unsolicited. Asked me to give up writing and
become a real radio personality. They offered me *$15,000/year* to start.
Mind you, they bumped the salary *up* 2k over the guy who was leaving.

Eeek. Urk. Can you say, "would have to suddenly learn how to be poor"?
Broadcasting (in non-major markets) is like crime: it just doesn't pay.

I think tech writing pays pretty well, thanks!

jim grey |beebeebumbleandthestingersmottthehoopleraycharlessingers
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com |lonniemackandtwangandeddiehere'smyringwe'regoingsteadyta