tan: bold vs. bald

Subject: tan: bold vs. bald
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 11:20:06 -0600

For those of you who like to think about or discuss
language idioms (as in "another think coming"), here
is another provided by a local engineer.

You may send comments to me.

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com

----- Begin message from timrice -at- erd1 7-Mar-94

From: timrice -at- erd1 (Tim Rice)
Subject: Bold vs. Bald
To: hsll05
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 11:03:51 -0600 (CST)
Cc: timrice -at- erd1 (Tim Rice)

LaVonna:

Since you did such a fine job delineating the nuances of thing vs. think,
I thought you'd be able to help me with a similar issue: "bald vs. bold."

I was reading something this weekend that used the phrase "bald-faced," as in
"He told a bald-faced lie." (I'd have to go back and check to get the exact
phrase and context...) Now, I was always under the impression that you could
tell a "bold-faced" lie, but not a "bald-faced" one. What do you think about
this? I'm starting to lose faith in my knowledge of the language I use--that's
scary. I'll submit this question to local.talk and see what happens.

Bye for now. - Tim "Grinder" Rice

----- End forwarded message