techwriters survey

Subject: techwriters survey
From: CHRISTOPHER S TILLEY <TILLEYCS -at- HCL -dot- CHASS -dot- NCSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 1994 16:40:44 EST5EDT

I am a senior at North Carolina State University, majoring in
English, with a concentration on Writing & Editing (minor in
engineering; graduating in December!). I am gathering information
for an honors English course I am taking this semester. The course
focues on issues concerning authorship of books, documents, speeches,
etc. The following survey pertains to information and issues of
authorship in the field of technical writing. Your cooperation
(i.e. responses) will be greatly appreciated. Feel free to answer in
paragraph/message/letter/whatever form. Thank you.

1) What kinds of writing (documents, procedures, reports, manuals,
etc.) do you do? Who approves it(them)?

2) Who is your audience? (Who do you write for?)

3) Do you work with other people on your writing? If so, what kind
of influence/input do they have?

4) How much revision is done to your work? Who does the revising?
(If somone else, are you generally happy with his/her revisions?)

5) How much credit (attribution) do you generally receive? To what
degree are you held responsible for the final product?

6) When would it be unethical to not give credit to someone who has
contributed to/collaborated on a report, document, etc.? Do you
know of any situations where this has happened? (Some elaboration
here would help me a lot)

Again, thanks. This course determines if I graduate with "Honors in
English" or not. No pressure!

Chris :-)