Career survey

Subject: Career survey
From: Heather Atkinson <HMA209 -at- SAFETY -dot- NWSCC -dot- SEA06 -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 17:17:25 EST

Hi everyone!

I hope you won't find this too intrusive or personal, but I was
hoping to get some feedback from my fellow Tech Writers. I now have
nearly 2 1/2 years Tech Writing experience working for a contractor
for the Gov't. There is job security, but the pay STINKS and the
work isn't very challenging. I've been sending out resumes for about
six months or so, but haven't really gotten a lot of responses (or
interviews). I REALLY want to get out of here, and am now wondering
if I'm under/over-qualified, don't have enough experience, if
there are few opportunities around here (Indiana), etc. or what?
Would you all be kind enough to answer a few questions for me so I
can get a sense of "what it takes" and what I'm up against for a
new job?! Thank you very much in advance for taking some time to
give me some info. and any advice you might wish to offer!

P.S. - I have a B.A. in English Writing and Communications if that
makes any difference to anyone! And, I recently joined STC!!

1. Do you have a college degree?
If so, what is it in?

Have you obtained a higher degree? (Masters or PhD?)
Do you feel this has made you more "marketable" and helped you to
obtain the jobs you wanted?

2. What kind of training/experience did you have when you got your
first job as a Tech Writer?

3. What are your feelings on the job market in your area? (Please
state where you live.)

4. OPTIONAL!!! OPTIONAL!! What was your starting salary? And,
stating the number of years experience you now have, what is your
current salary? (Give ballparks if you don't want to specify)

5. What other positions have you had, other than Tech Writer? (e.g.,
any Graphic Designers, Public Relations, Editors, etc.?)
How does your Tech Writing career compare? (Do you like it
better/worse?)

6. Any additional background you'd like to offer? Advice?
Inspirational stories?

Thanks again for all of your help. I've already learned a lot from
many of you on this list. :-)

! Heather M. Atkinson, Technical Writer !
! Computer Data Systems, Inc. !
! Crane Division, Naval Surface Warfare Center !
! Crane, Indiana !
! HMA209 -at- SAFETY -dot- NWSCC -dot- SEA06 -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL !