It ain't Pacman

Subject: It ain't Pacman
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 17:27:05 IST

It seems to me--and please feel free to disagree--that you can do anything with
an electronic document that you can do with a print-based document.

** Even when you've somehow found the electronic cues to substitute for
the print-reader's sense of how big the book is and where he is in it,
and even when you've maximized the screen resolution, you're still left
with the difference between radiated light and reflected light.
Now, I know that kids can happily play PC games for ten or twelve hours,
but they're not trying to decipher anything the size of running text.
Barring some really new technology, I think reading text from a screen will
always be tiring. (If you don't believe me now, talk to me again
when you're ten years older.)
Mark L. Levinson, SEE Technologies, Box 544, Herzlia, Israel
mark -at- dcl-see -dot- co -dot- il | voice +972-9-584684, ext. 230 | fax +972-9-543917
"You can't judge right by looking at the wrong." - Willie Dixon