Lowering monitor height

Subject: Lowering monitor height
From: FOLTZ_J -at- DT3 -dot- DT -dot- UH -dot- EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 11:07:38 -0600

Paul wrote:
>I read a Japanese study a couple months ago that suggests lowering the
>moniter to prevent eye strain--seems that looking at the horizon prevents
>the eyes from producing tears. I haven't tried it, but it sounded
>interesting.

I gotta jump in here. My company has spent a lot of time and effort making
sure that workstations are ergonomically correct. Their advice is to make
sure that your monitor is at a 20 degree angle below eye level. I don't
know about tear production, but this reduces strain on your neck, shoulders,
etc. There are some inexpensive tilt and swivel monitor stands that can
help eliminate glare, and allow small adjustments in the viewing angle
during the day. If anyone wants more specific information, feel free
to contact me.

Janet
Foltz_J -at- dt -dot- uh -dot- edu