Information retrieval systems for online Doc

Subject: Information retrieval systems for online Doc
From: "Nancy S. Burns" <nburns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 14:17:40 -0825

>I'm currently researching online documentation technology options for my
>company and was wondering if anyone had any experience using (or
>researching) information retrieval systems, such as Verity or Fulcrum.

>Thanks for any thoughts-

>Debra Carnegie
>Symbologic Corporation
>internet: deb -at- symbologic -dot- com

I researched text retrieval systems about a year ago, so my information is
dated. I found a lot of information in a series of articles on text
management in the 1992 issue of Byte magazine. Despite the publication
date, the information is relevant.

These are the systems Byte reviewed:

ask Sam 5.01
ask Sam Systems
(800) 800-1997

ideaList
Blackwell Scientific Publications
(800) 695-3364

Concordance 5.10
Dataflight Software
(800) 421-8398

Folio Views 2.1
Folio Corp.
(800) 543-6546

re:Search 2.12
MicroRetrieval Corp.
(617) 577-1574

Isys 2.0
Odyssey Development
(303) 394-0091

On Location 2.0
On Technology, Inc.
(617) 876-0900

Sonar Professional 1.0
Virginia Systems Sofware
(804) 739-3200

ZyIndex 4.02
ZyLab
(708) 459-8000

Magellan 2.0
Lotus Development
(617) 577-8500
(This product may no longer exist; I'm not sure)

I did not purchase a text retrieval system, so I have no personal
experiences. Most of the systems at that time were for DOS or Windows, and
a few were for the Mac.

Nancy S. Burns
National Solar Observatory
Tucson, Arizona
e-mail: nburns -at- noao -dot- edu

"Vision is the art of seeing things invisible."
- Jonathan Swift