DIN plug, -a term to use?

Subject: DIN plug, -a term to use?
From: Lars Helge Semb <lhs -at- VINGMED -dot- NO>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 13:08:45 +0800

Hi,
First, a short introduction:
My name is Lars Helge Semb and I work as a tech writer in a two persons
group in a medical ultra sound company, Vingmed Sound A/S, located in
Horten, Norway.

My colleague, James Brandal, is just about to make an installation
description for some optional boxes for our ultra sound instruments. The
installation is to be done by service personnel. He asked me to send this
mail.

The question:
Will the term "5 pin DIN plug" or "4 pin mini DIN plug" be understood
(outside Europe)?
Example: "Connect the male 5 pin DIN plug to the inlet marked Audio in."
I think most people can figure out which plug we are talking about :),
but are the DIN plugs known as a "name" for these type of plugs (like we
are talking about "phono" plugs or "BNC"). Or maybe someone has a better
term to use?

Lars H.

Lars Helge Semb
Vingmed Sound A/S