Re: On multiple indexes

Subject: Re: On multiple indexes
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 15:56:45 EST

Logendra Naidoo (INTERNET:naidoo -at- BNR -dot- CA) wrote:

> I use FrameMaker for generating index entries as I write or at the end
> of the writing process (night before deadline). I find that others who
> are responsible, skilled indexers by profession sometimes miss important
> words and de-emphasize a word's importance by incorrectly categorizing
> them (of course this is dependent upon the subject matter).
> Real life example:

> Network cards
> enhanced
> serial data
> memory expansion

> The technology I am working on would only have the enhanced card
> classified as a Network card. It's not anyone's fault, just writer's
> familiarity. I believe over-categorization can diminish an index's
> usability.

Logendra -- You made an excellent point. The *writer* is the best person
to create the index IF the writer has good indexing skills. That's a big
*IF*, especially since, from an indexer's perspective, there are two types
of people: those who *like* indexing and those who *despise* it. Of
course, it goes without saying that if someone despises indexing, chances
are they'll do a lousy job of it; and, in that case, it's better to have
a professional indexer develop the index, preferably with the opportunity
to confer with the writer when questions arise.

BTW, if you're waiting until the night before deadline to create an index,
I'd say that you're either *very* good or that there are likely to be some
problems with the quality of the index.

Lori Lathrop ----------> INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
Lathrop Media Services
P.O. Box 808