Re: Interviewing for info. gathering

Subject: Re: Interviewing for info. gathering
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 1994 11:06:56 CDT

For LaVonna, et al:

Here are the steps in the process I follow:

1 - Obtain and review all available product/process
materials (making notes, highlighting, and pasting
marginal flags along the way).

2 - If enough information is available, prepare a
draft user description.

3 - Prepare a list of questions from the notes taken
in steps 1 and 2. (I space the questions on
notebook paper, leaving room for Subject Matter
Expert answers. Depending on the SME and the
subject and the expected document, I sometimes
forward a copy of my questions to the SME in
advance of our meeting.)

4 - Schedule a meeting with the SME(s).

5 - At the meeting, ask listed questions and record
answers. Attempt to identify sources of answers
provided (i.e., source documents, reports, etc.).

6 - After the meeting, rewrite the questions and
answers.

7 - Send a thank you memo to the SME(s) via his/her/their
Boss(es). (I find this step valuable. It is hard
to convince product development supervisors and
managers to provide interview and document review
time to SMEs. Our managers have come to accept
that such time is necessary during the product
development cycle. SMEs sometimes use the memos
during their performance evaluations to remind their
reviewers that such time is/was not wasted.)

If any agreements are made during the meeting,
include them in the thank you memo.

8 - Make a couple of copies of the finished Q & A list.
Post one on a wall for quick reference. Put one in
your document files. Refer to the list frequently
to refresh your memory. Check off items as you
incorporate them in the document(s).

This may seem like a lot of work, but it usually isn't; and it
pays for itself over and over during the development process.

I hope this helps!

Chuck Banks
--
|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411
STC Mail: Cbanks -at- talkdallas -dot- com