Getting a co-author

Subject: Getting a co-author
From: "USA::FCD24712" <FCD24712%USA -dot- decnet -at- USAV01 -dot- GLAXO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 14:09:00 EST

I haven't seen this subject on the list recently, but think it's appropriate.
I am writing a short (approx 300 pages) computer textbook. The outline is
completed, the contract signed, and the first few chapters drafted. My editor
and I are discussing the possibility of bringing in a second author in order to
keep on track (camera-ready copy due late Sept, this year). The person I have
in mind is excellent - good technically, writes well, and a friend for almost
20 years.

My question: has anyone done something like this - bring in a coauthor AFTER
the project is started? What problems did it cause? What benefits were
realized? Any comments or suggestions you can make would be appreciated.

Frank DiIorio