Re: Help Systems & Gender Differences

Subject: Re: Help Systems & Gender Differences
From: Carl Stieren <ag231 -at- FREENET -dot- CARLETON -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 1994 11:30:51 -0400

Once upon a time I was a member of a development team for which I was
the technical writer. The team was about eight men and one woman. When the
one woman went away for a two-week training session plus conference, the
dynamics of the team stayed the same for the first meeting, and then changed -
for the worse. I felt as if I were a member of a football team or a hockey
team (and I don't like sports). There was little I could do about it, but
I did make some changes. I tried to introduce more co-operative and less
competitive stances and comments, and asked at several points "Is this the
feeling of everyone in the group, that ...". We hobbled along, and then
our woman member came back, and another one joined. I was really relived!

As for technical writing for men vs. technical writing for women, I would
appreciate others' comments on this issue.

--
"When peace that passes understanding : Carl Stieren
reigns on earth and on the sea, : Simware, Inc. /Ottawa, Canada