Re: Help Systems & Gender Differences

Subject: Re: Help Systems & Gender Differences
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 16:18:09 -0700

Sorry I sent that blank message. Sigh. My fingers work faster
than my brain!

Caryn Rizell said:
> 3) Given that *most* men act one way and *most* women act another
> way, what do we do with that in regards to what we write
> and how we write it?

I haven't read Carol Gilligan's stuff, but I know that Deborah
Tannen doesn't claim any such thing. She claims that there are
different style of behaviour, that's all. She highlights particular
instances where these differences are brought up, and how to
deal w/ them. It's the *difference in style* that concerns her,
not the gender to which those differences might be attributed.
So I wouldn't say that it's a given that most women act one way
and most men another.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com