Re: Politeness

Subject: Re: Politeness
From: Sue Stewart <suepstewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 21:38:19 EDT

jonprice -at- AOL -dot- COM said:

Are you also considering whether current error messages, online help, and
documentation are polite? For instance, would you ask your mother, "Abort,
Retry, Fail?"

I've been meaning to mention that in recent months I have had no less than
three users tell me that the word "Abort" offends them. (One person said her
"skin crawled.") Since then, I have mentioned this to every programmer I
work with. Without exception, following a brief period of glazed-over eyes,
they thank me for this information and *change their programming.*

I realize that this has been standard terminology for many years, but I
suggest it has acquired so much negative baggage that it is a detriment to
any program. You may want to pass this info on to programmers.

sue p. stewart, who has no problem with the word, but does have a problem
with offending users, even though the thought of being "PC" makes *her* skin
crawl ...
suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com