Copyright, the net, and you...

Subject: Copyright, the net, and you...
From: Pat Berry <pat -at- BERRY -dot- CARY -dot- NC -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 22:36:12 EDT

Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM> writes:

> Technically true, but in reality, the entire net is one huge, roving,
> copyright violation. All you have to do to prove this to yourself is
> write a REALLY GOOD piece of original humor and post it. I guarentee
> that one week from the time you post it, you'll see it on the office
> bulletin board in a different department and your name won't even be
> associated with it. You may even see it posted by someone else claiming
> that they originated it. I'm not saying that this is right, and neither
> was Gordon. The point is not whether it is right, or legal, or anything
> else. The point is, it WILL happen. Since you know it will happen,
> since there isn't really anything that you can do do to prevent it,
> you can either let it bother you, or not. Your choice.

My choice is to take a clear and uncompromising position on the matter.
If people choose to steal the work of others, I can't stop them. But I
can make it clear that I consider them thieves, and let that bother
*them*, if they have any consciences at all.

We may be powerless to stop injustice, but we can still call it by its
right name. And, in my opinion, we are obligated to do so.