full conf. description

Subject: full conf. description
From: Dickie Selfe <rselfe -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 13:30:26 -0600

I've had several requests for the C & W conference description so here it is.

Sender: "Megabyte University (Computers & Writing)" <MBU-L -at- TTUVM1 -dot- TTU -dot- EDU>
From: Eric Crump <LCERIC -at- MIZZOU1 -dot- BITNET>
Subject: Computers & Writing Conference registration
To: Multiple recipients of list MBU-L <MBU-L -at- TTUVM1 -dot- TTU -dot- EDU>

Please forgive the multiple copies zinging about.
And feel free to forward to appropriate lists,
newsgroups, and individuals. Thanks. --Eric

------------------------------------
****Conference Registration Form****
----- -----
-- --
----- -----
-------- The Tenth Annual --------
----- -----
-- Computers & Writing Conference -- <---
----- ----- |
-------- May 20-23, 1994 -------- |
----------- hosted by ----------- Including
-------- the -------- CW94:Forum,
----- University of Missouri ----- the 2nd annual
-- Columbia, Missouri USA -- Online Computers &
----- ----- Writing Conference
-------- --------
----------- Theme: -----------
Global Web of Writing Technologies
------------------------------------

* The Program:

The Tenth Computers and Writing Conference will straddle two
worlds, the real and the virtual, and will include as much
commerce across the borders of those worlds as we can manage.
We'll keep one foot firmly on the ground, with traditional-type
sessions addressing practical, pedagogical, and theoretical
issues faced by most teachers, whether or not their classrooms
are laden with computer technology. But we'll also have
presentations that take us to the boundaries of current
educational structures and show us how technology is offering
the means to put pressure on traditional constraints and create
new learning environments.

The on-site conference will follow many C&W traditions and
will include featured speakers, concurrent sessions, workshops,
poster sessions, and exhibits. Events will begin at 5:30 p.m.,
Friday, May 20 and will continue until noon Monday, May 23,
not including pre- and postconference workshops.

The online conference, CW94:Forum, is scheduled to begin
April 29 and run through June 12 and will follow the precedent
set at the University of Michigan in 1993, serving as a
geographic and temporal extension of the on-site event. It will
include asynchronous discussion about important issues in the
field using Electronic Forum, an easy-to-use, award-winning
conferencing program that can be reached via telnet by anyone
who has access to the Internet (and, of course, to telnet). This
year there will also be real-time events, conference sessions and
social gatherings, held on MediaMOO (accessible directly via
telnet or via Electronic Forum). MediaMOO is a a textual virtual
environment developed by Amy Bruckman, one of the featured
speakers.

We hope the combination of Electronic Forum and MediaMOO
will help blur, to some extent, the differences between the on-
site and online conferences. The idea is to make the issues
and conversations that swirl around this community available
to more people and to enrich the community by bringing more
voices to bear on its concerns.

Everyone who registers for the conference and provides a viable
electronic mail address will receive instructions about how to
reach and use Electronic Forum and MediaMOO, though we
want to note that differences in individual systems can affect the
means of gaining access to resources on the Internet. We'll do
the best we can to advise everyone about reaching
CW94:Forum, but some folks may need to consult with local
computer system experts, as well.

* Featured Speakers:

* DALE SPENDER
* An eclectic and prolific feminist scholar from Australia, she is
the author of Man Made Language, and Women of Ideas, and a
number of other books. Her forthcoming book (due out early
this year) is called Nattering on the Nets: Women, Information,
and Power.

* AMY BRUCKMAN
* A media researcher at MIT who studies and develops Internet-
based textual virtual environments. Her work includes studies
of gender and identity as they are constructed on computer
networks and her current project involves creating a virtual
environment for children.

* JOHN UNSWORTH
* Director of the Institute for Advanced Technology at the
University of Virginia, co-founder and co-editor of Post-Modern
Culture, an electronic journal for interdisciplinary criticism, and
developer of the NCSU Virtual Campus.

* Preconference Workshops:

****Workshop 1
The First Four Weeks in a Computer Mediated Composition
classroom: Integrating Computer Skills into the Design and
Sequence of Writing Assignments

with Judith Kirkpatrick

A hands-on workshop for teachers who are new to or
considering teaching in a computer mediated classroom
environment. Some first year composition teachers expect the
introduction of computers to intrude on class time that should
be spent on writing. This workshop will demonstrate how class
time can be use to integrate beginning computer skills with
beginning writing activities.

****Workshop 2
A Model for Integrating Online Resources Into a Begin-ning
Journalism or Creative Writing Course

with Michael McKean

A model for including online information into a beginning
journalism or creative writing course. A sample syllabus,
including several class exercises, will be offered for discussion.
Participants will go through some of the exercises online via the
Internet. Resources to be accessed and searched include the
Dialog and Lexis/Nexis commercial database services, the
COIN freenet, Bitnet LISTSERVs, USENET News and gopher.

****Workshop 3
Exploring Resistance to Technology: Developing Models for
Faculty Involvement in Computer-Supported Communication
Pedagogy

with Richard Selfe, Karla Kitalong, and Allan Heaps

This workshop will provide an environment in which
instructors, lab directors, and others interested in computers
and composition can collaboratively develop models for
encouraging faculty involvement at their institutions.

* Postconference Workshops:

****Workshop 4
Interactive Text: Helping Teachers Design Educational Software
For Their Own Learning Environments

with Bill Condon, Michael Day, Susanmarie Harrington, Molly
Hepler, Joan Huntley, Paul LeBlanc, Rae Schipke, and Paul
Taylor, coordinated by Jeff Galin

Authoring programs like HyperCard, StorySpace, and Toolbook
enable non-programmers to create sophisticated applications.
There are potentially as many good program designs as there
are teachers of writing who can conceive of them. This four-
hour workshop will help 30 participants to: 1) understand the
issues and obstacles they face in designing their own software,
2) conceptualize their own designs with guidance from experts
in the field, and 3) integrate these applications into their classes.
All participants should bring a paragraph sketch describing the
applications they want to develop or are currently developing.

****Workshop 5
Michelangelo's Pocketbook: How Electronic Texts Challenge the
Rules of Intellectual Property, and the Renaissance Ideology of
Genius Which Underlies Them

with Giles Slade

A look at issues of intellectual property rights and the effect
computer technology is having on those values. Participants
will create an interactive, conferenced multi-media hypertext on
the history of intellectual property in which the participants'
collective involvement will demonstrate the inapplicability both
of the current rules concerning plagiarism, and of the laws
concerning copyright.

****Workshop 6
Building Collaborative Relationships Among Rural Teachers

with Roy E. Roper, Sue A. Dole, R. Edward Dole, and Nancy Hyland

This workshop will share with participants the results so far of
the Hughes Life Sciences Curriculum Development project,
which has provided opportunities for middle school science
teachers from small or rural school districts to develop
professionally collaborative relationships through the use of
telecommunications. Participants will be introduced to the
technologies deployed, the training presented, and the
maintenance issues associated with virtual community creation.
The presenters will show how a combination of curriculum
development activities supported by telecommunications and
Internet access provides a model for other outreach programs
with the goals of circumventing teacher isolation and
encouraging professional growth.

* A few of the titles that will grace the program:

In the Making: Constructive hypertext over the Internet.

Pedagogical and Professional Uses of MUDs:
Lessons from the Virtual Trenches

WAC Learns to Fly: the Birth of an OWL

WAC and WAN: Newlyweds in Cyberspace

A sleep of causes: towards a cognitive theory of hypermedia.

Organizing the Profession: Issues of the First Year of the
Alliance for Computers and Writing

Separation Anxiety: problems of human alienation in
the computer classroom

Writing and Computers Across Grades and Curriculum:
What K thru 12 Can Teach the University

Old Fashioned Writing on the Computer: Resisting the
Modular Nature of Writing in the Info Age

Using The Internet In High School/University Collaborations:
Possibilities And Problems.

Times of the Electronic Sign: the Cultural, Social and Pedagogic
Significance of the NREN

Flames Over the Gulf: Conflict in a Computer Forum

Historical Perspectives on Computers and Composition:
The Emergence and Growth of a Field

Cultural (Multi-)Mediation: Using Computers to Revitalize
Native Languages

* Lodging:

Holiday Inn Executive Center
2200 I-70 Drive SW
Columbia, MO 65203
(314) 445-8531
$56/single
$66/double

Deadline: Rooms reserved for the conference will be released
April 22, so please make reservation arrangements prior to that
date.

Note: The hotel is located at the intersection of Interstate 70 and
Stadium Boulevard, adjacent to the Columbia Mall on the west
edge of town. Most conference events during the day Saturday
and Sunday will take place on campus. Transportation to and
from the hotel will be provided.

* Travel

Columbia (pop. 73,000 or so) is smack in the middle of Missouri,
perched on Interstate 70 halfway between St. Louis and Kansas
City (about two hours by car from the international airport in
either city). Columbia Regional Airport is served by TWA-Trans
World Express (domestic, 1-800-221-2000; international, 1-800-
892-4141), a commuter airline with daily flights to and from St.
Louis. Tiger Air Express (314-443-3544) offers regular ground
transportation to and from St. Louis Lambert Field and Kansas
City International airports.

- - - - - - - - - - - print, clip and mail - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -

Name__________________________________________

School or business____________________________

Postal address________________________________

Phone_________________________________________

Electronic mail address_______________________

Note: Anyone who provides an e-mail address will receive
information about how to join the online conference.

Fax___________________________________________

Check one:
____Regular (includes 3 meals and access to the online conference)
US$130 if postmarked on or before April 15, $145 if postmarked
after April 15.
____Student (includes 3 meals and access to the online conference)
US$75 if postmarked on or before April 15, $90 if postmarked
after April 15.
____Online only (April 29 through June 10) US$30. Participants must
have access to the Internet and be able to use telnet to login to a
remote host computer. Note: online-only participants should be
sure to include an e-mail address above.

Workshops ($30 each):
Note: preconference workshops will be held Friday from 2 to 5
p.m. Postconference workshops will be held Monday from 1 to
4 p.m. **Enrollment is limited**

(Please choose no more than one workshop from each column.)

Preconference Postconference
____ (1) ____ (4)
____ (2) ____ (5)
____ (3) ____ (6)

__________Total Amount Enclosed

Please make checks payable to the University of Missouri and
mail to:

C&W Conference
University Extension Conference Office
344 Hearnes Center
Columbia, MO 65211
(314) 882-4349
FAX: (314) 882-1953

Circle one:
Visa Mastercard Discover

Card #_____________________________________

Expiration Date____________________________

Signature__________________________________

| If you have any disability that requires special materials or |
| services, please call 314-882-2429 or TDD 314-882-4349 |

FOR OFFICE USE ONLY C#2961
cc pc ca ido inv MC VISA DISC

Date Amt Pd Recpt#

Dickie Selfe 138 Walker
rselfe -at- mtu -dot- edu Michigan Technological U.
906-487-3225 Houghton, MI 49931