Re: Corel Ventura

Subject: Re: Corel Ventura
From: John Russell <johnr -at- BRS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 15:29:03 EDT

Hi,

I know I'm hard on Ventura, that's because I've only been working with
documentation tools for about three years. In that time I've seen some
pretty cool stuff...not much of it from Ventura.

And yes, Ventura will accept any kind of ASCII text file (there's only
one...ASCII is ASCII). What I meant was fully formatted text
translation. For instance, Word is pretty good at taking a fully
formatted WP document and making it look almost exactly the same in
Word format. With Ventura--and with the exception of WP--it has to
be a flat ASCII text file.

WinWord is pretty nice, but there are some quirks. WW's Master Document
for long documents isn't as smooth as Frame's Book, it's a little slow
because it constantly repaginates. And importing many graphics *does*
slow it down. Chapter and heading numbering is quite problematic--I'll
spare you the details, unless you really want to know. There are
probably a few other things, but those are the three that bother me most.

Frame, though, I believe is a pretty well rounded product. The only
thing I would miss is Word's macro writing facility. My department has
taken a similar position, "unless Corel revamps the heating system
and puts in an air conditioner, we're moving out!"

--

kjr
johnr -at- lurch -dot- brs -dot- com

|/ K. John Russell \||/ \|
| Dataware Technologies, Inc. || My dog jumped out a window! |
| 5 Computer Drive South || Six stories to the patio below. |
| Albany, New York 12205 || I loved that dog. |
|\ (518) 435-4025 /||\ /|