Overuse of quotation marks

Subject: Overuse of quotation marks
From: doug montalbano <doug_montalbano -at- CC -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 15:20:25 PST

Someone (my e-mail program has stripped off any sig) recently tsked about

>>the gradual shift in popular usage of quotations to mean emphasis, as in
>>this famous example:
>>100% "real" beef hamburgers

One of my old fave authors, Vladimir Nabokov, has two interesting remarks
about this practice (from different works).
(Since I'm losing my ability to quote accurately, and since I don't have
his books at work, I'll paraphrase, okay LaVonna?) ;-)

"Reality" is one of those words that means nothing without quotes.

.."reality" lost the quotes it wore like claws.

Doug_Montalbano -at- cc -dot- chiron -dot- com
Doug Montalbano <> an editor ... comes down from
Technical Writer <> the mountain after a battle
Chiron Corporation <> and shoots the wounded....
510/601-2862 (voice/tty) <> --Rita Mae Brown, _Bingo_