promotion vs. pa...

Subject: promotion vs. pa...
From: Karen Steele <karen -at- BILBO -dot- SUITE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 10:33:38 -0500

Jim Grey writes

> It's hard to know what to ask for in that first career job.

> Many of us came from college (i.e. $0/yr income), so

> *anything* sounds like a lot of money. Even then, how do
> you know what

> I suppose one way to avoid this is to join the STC *before*
> you go after that first techwriting job, and get good
> advice from other chapter members (he says, still not
> quite having gotten around to STC membership himself).
> Or stumble across this list and ask us phine pholk.

> Otherwise, you cut the best deal you can and go from there.

The Dallas chapter of STC offers The Mentor Project.

If you are a student, a recent graduate, or someone trying
to break into the field of technical communication, The
Mentor Project will assign a mentor (a seasoned
professional communicator) to assist you with things
like how much to ask for/charge, preparing your resume,
assessing your skills, researching the job market, etc.

This has been our first year for The Mentor Project. We're
still learning a lot about how to make it a great program --
it's been very popular. If you or any of your friends are
considering a move to Dallas, contact Judy Glick-Smith
at (214) 241-3537 to enroll in the program.

Karen Steele
President, Lone Star Chapter, STC