Re: Editing tools

Subject: Re: Editing tools
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- CAYMAN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 11:45:42 EDT

Jonathan Leer wrote:
>... is there a software package available for using
>such a device or a mouse to mark up (with editor's comments) an existing
>document on the computer? And, if such a product exists, does it allow the
>recipient of the document to later strip out (easily) the editor's comments?

Jon,
I found a Mac package called MarkUP that lets you mark up a manuscript with
editorial comments, then hide or show those comments. Access Technology
had a product for the PC called ForComment that let you do the same using a
PC and docs you got from the net. Its main porpose was to let technical
reviewers see what others had written, but you could use it for editorial
stuff, too, but it didn't have explicit standard editorial marks, if I
recall.

Of course, you could always use the hidden text features of FrameMaker or
MS-Word if you wanted to avoid buying another package. What you sacrifice
is (again) the editorial symbology, but you have advantages in cost and
(relative) platform independence.

Marguerite