Testing for Editors

Subject: Testing for Editors
From: Laurie Miles temp <miles -at- BROOKTREE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 16:40:28 -0700

We have recently had some bad experiences with technical editors. As a
result, we have decided to create a test in the hopes of weeding out
those applicants who don't have the necessary qualifications.

I would appreciate any input from other tech writers and editors who have
created or taken editing and writing tests for jobs. What was
beneficial, what was or should be included, what was a good indicator?
What is an acceptable length for a test?

Our documentation is quite technical. Consequently, a mere grammar,
spelling, and punctuation won't suffice.

Thank for the input!
Laurie Miles
miles -at- brooktree -dot- com