Re: Prepositions ending sentence

Subject: Re: Prepositions ending sentence
From: "Barbara J. Philbrick" <burkbrick -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 18:24:44 EDT

>Original: The number the system begins numbering orders at.
<snip>

>(BTW - I know this is a lousy example <snip>)

>>Actually, I'd have to see a "less lousy" example to answer your
>> question, asI find the "begins numbering orders at" at least as
>> clumsy and distracting as the alternative. When there's a third
>> method so much better than either examples, the question is
>> simply moot. :-)

OK - I found the ones that were originally giving me grief. These are in a
table that defines fields in an on-screen form. We re using the table instead
of the step-by-step instructions, esp. on obvious stuff like phone, address,
etc. Personally, I would move the preposition to the end in all of these
cases, but obviously my associate (and some people on the list) doesn t
agree. Any (other) suggestions?

Field Name Description

Customer Contacts Voice Phone Enter the phone number at which the contact(s)
can be reached.
Customer Contacts Fax Phone Enter the fax number at which the contact(s) can
be reached
Shipping Address State Enter the postal code for the state to
where the orders are to be shipped

BTW, thanks to everyone who responded to my original post - I m still not
sure what to do, but it did give some food for thought.

Barb