Subject: Summary: HP LaserJet 4MP (and Apple LWs)
From: Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 May 1994 14:46:30 PDT

Here are four representative opinions on the HP LaserJet 4MP, which I
solicited a few hours ago.

Thanks, everyone!

Arthur

I'm the proud owner of one of these printers, and I've been ecstatic
over its flexibility and quality printing. I'm not sure how it's going
to handle UNIX files, though. If they're PostScript and you can send them
through DOS or a Macintosh, shouldn't be too much of a problem (famous
last words!)

Good luck!

Anatole

We have a LaserJet 4M. I work on a Mac over an ethernet connection.

Your note made me curious, so I just tried printing a .1 line and a
"hairline" from PageMaker. It printed beautiful lines. I use the
LaserJet for final draft copies and masters for duplication. The blacks
are full. The shading is high quality. I'm happy with it.

-Maria

Yes, I have this printer at home and it works on our SparcStation
and Mac 840AV. It is a good printer for the price, but I think
for about $150 more you can get an Apple LaserWriter 360 which
is Out of this world. If I could do it all over again , I would
get the Apple. It works on SparcStations (Parallel and Serial)
On MS machines and also on Apple Macintoshes !!!!

I heartily recommend the Apple.

Sinan

Well, I don't have experience with the 4MP itself, but I'll spout off
a bit about it anyhow.

First off: 4ppm seems astoundingly slow to me. Especailly since the
Apple LaserWriter Pro 630 we just got is somewhere in the order of
12ppm, is also 600dpi, and you can't get much more plug and play than
an apple printer. :)

I don't know what the price comparisons are between the 630 and the 4MP,
but you might want to look into it. I've been nothing but thrilled with
the 630.

Also, I've helped our group "port" over 2000 pages of documentation from
the mac to the Sun for printing (in 2 days!); if you're interested in the
details and the little gotchas involved, send me mail.

Laura