STC Region 5 Conference Announcement (LONG)

Subject: STC Region 5 Conference Announcement (LONG)
From: Pam Tatge <pamt -at- STEINBECK -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 May 1994 17:01:54 CDT

* *
* STC Houston Chapter presents *
* Two Exciting Events *
* *
* / *
* Region 5 Conference: / / *
* FutureMedia / / *
* / / *
* / / Visual Literacy *
* / / with William Horton *
* *
* October 12 -- 16, 1994 *
* The Houstonian *
* Hotel and Conference Center *
* *

FUTUREMEDIA
Merging Communication, Technology & Human Factors
October 14-- 16

FutureMedia, a two-day conference, incorporates writing issues with
information about emerging technologies such as multimedia and CD-ROM,
and human factors such as usability testing and graphical user
interfaces. The conference also offers an optional half-day STC
Leadership Development Workshop.

Featuring:
Keynote Speaker
WILLIAM HORTON
Highlights:
-----------
o Welcome Reception (poolside)
o Networking Luncheon
o Leadership Development Workshop

Topics include:
---------------
o Design and Use of Multimedia Training
o Converting from Paper to CD-ROM
o The Information Superhighway--What Is It?
o Design and Use of Hypertext
o SGML Applications
o Ethics and Technology
o The Usability Professional
o Using Storyboarding to Test Documents
o In-Depth Audience Analysis

Agenda: (Subject to Change)
------
Wednesday, Oct. 12
Visual Literacy

Thursday, Oct. 13
Visual Literacy

Thursday, Oct. 13 (5:30 -- 8:00 p.m.)
Welcome reception hosted by STC Houston

Friday, Oct. 14 (8:00 a.m. -- 3:45 p.m.)
Registration
Keynote Speaker
Sessions 1 -- 4
Lunch
Sessions 5 -- 8

Saturday, Oct. 15 (8:00 a.m. -- 3:00 p.m.)
Registration
Kick-off Speaker
Sessions 9 -- 12
Networking Luncheon
Sessions 13 -- 14

Sunday, Oct. 16 (8:30 a.m. -- 12:00 p.m.)
Registration
Leadership Development Workshop

VISUAL LITERACY
Saying It in Pictures
=====================
with William Horton, October 12 -- 13

Visual Literacy applies proven human factors principles to the visual
design of technical and business publications. It is designed for anyone
who must communicate detailed or abstract technical information.

Topics include:
---------------
o Graphical dynamics: conveying change and motion in the static display
o Color in theory and practice
o The language of graphics--Analyzing the symbology of graphics
o Visual symbols, icons, signs, logos
o Showing depth on the flat display

William Horton is president of William Horton Consulting, a Colorado-
based consulting firm specializing in applying human factors to the task
of communicating technical information. He has devoted most of his career
to finding and practicing better ways to communicate technical
information. He specializes in putting people and machines together in
productive systems. Mr. Horton, author of Designing and Writing Online
Documentation and coauthor of The Writer's Pocket Almanac, is a
registered professional engineer and graduate of MIT.

GENERAL INFORMATION
===================
In June, a final brochure will be mailed that provides a registration
form (for Visual Literacy, Region 5 Conference, and Leadership
Development Workshop) along with detailed information for speakers,
topics, costs, lodging, and transportation.

EXPERIENCE HOUSTON
==================
STC Houston invites you to be our guest in the nation's fourth largest
city. Houston has developed into an international hub of trade, commerce,
and culture. Diverse interests and tastes can be filled by arts and
entertainment, sporting events, musical venues plus an abundance of great
restaurants. Visit NASA, the Astrodome, Astroworld theme park, or take in
the sand and surf in nearby Galveston. Houston has something for everyone.

CONFERENCE FACILITIES
=====================
The Houston Chapter has chosen a wooded, twenty-two acre protected
estate nestled in the heart of Houston as headquarters for this year's
Region 5 Conference. The Houstonian Hotel and Conference Center offers a
state-of-the-art communications facility within minutes of major business
districts of Houston. Both airports are accessible, yet you never
experience the tensions and distractions of the urban workplace.

STC HOUSTON
a registration form). STC members in Region 5 will automatically receive
the final brochure.

Name:
Title:
Company:
Address:
City:
State:
Country:
Zip/Postal Code:
Phone:
Fax:

Send to:
Bill Gearhart
c/o Candle Corporation
9800 Richmond Avenue, Suite 600
Houston, Texas 77042

Your information must be received by July 1.

(If you prefer, send e-mail to me--Pam--and I'll give the information
to Bill.)