Leader characters?

Subject: Leader characters?
From: Sue MacIntosh <sue -at- PAGES -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 May 1994 10:00:10 -0700

Hi there!

What leader characters do you most commonly use in Tables of
Contents? For example,

Introduction.............................................1

I use plain old periods myself and have rarely seen anything else
other than occasional use of underscores or hyphens.

The reason I ask is that one of our engineers is updating our TOC
generator and asked me what characters people typically use for
leadering. (Imagine that, an engineer actually asking about what
writers want!) Anyway, I told him my thoughts and said that I would
take a poll on TECHWR-L.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sue

Susan M. MacIntosh