Re: To be or not: An E-prime inquiry

Subject: Re: To be or not: An E-prime inquiry
From: Michael LaTorra <mikel -at- ACCUGRAPH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 May 1994 11:02:34 MDT

I heard the author of _TO BE OR NOT_ discussing E-Prime
on the radio *without once violating the E-Prime directive*
which impressed me. (BTW, "E-Prime directive" sounds like linguistic
Star Trek.) But after trying E-Prime for a while, I found that
its contribution to tightening my prose was sometimes outweighed
by its restrictiveness. The state of existence is a fact; *to be* IS!

I'm not opposed to E-Prime as an exercise. But as Marguerite Krupp
stated so well yesterday:

I tend to lump initiatives like E-prime, Information Mapping, Caterpillar
Basic English (or whatever its successors are called now), etc., with
bra-burning and the novel that someone wrote without using the letter "e"
at all. They're all examples of an idea, good in itself, taken to an
extreme to make a point. Then it becomes something of a religion, and the
point gets lost.

That's it!

Live long & prosper,
Mike LaTorra

Documentation Supervisor
Accugraph Inc.
mikel -at- huey -dot- accugraph -dot- com