Re: Leader characters

Subject: Re: Leader characters
From: Vincent Borghi <vb -at- SCOPE -dot- FDN -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 8 May 1994 08:18:51 GMT

Someone wrote:
> What leader characters do you most commonly use in Tables
> of Contents? I use plain old periods [...]

> The reason I ask is that one of our engineers is updating our TOC
> generator and asked me what characters people typically use for
> leadering.

Here is the challenge for your engineers: you may want
the periods being vertically aligned, which is not always easy,
depending on the word processor you use (and the font you use,
proportional or monospaced).

FooBar toc entry . . . . . . . . number
dummy toc entry . . . . . . . . . number
^
-> periods are not vertically aligned: poor visual effect

FooBar toc entry . . . . . . . . number
dummy toc entry . . . . . . . . number
^
-> periods are vertically aligned: good visual effect

--
Vincent BORGHI (Freelance Technical Writer)
41, avenue de Savoie Phone: (+33) 76 97 58 78