Re: wrist problems, rsi, cts

Subject: Re: wrist problems, rsi, cts
From: dances with deadlines <bobbitt -at- SCHOOL -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 05:47:14 PDT

I didn't feel like pursuing the paperwork necessary to acquire pads to go
in front of my keyboard and mouse, so I just decided to go out and buy my
own. An attractively matched set of PAD PALS can be found at any big
computer store (Comp USA, etc.), and mine cost about $16 for both. They
have a smooth fabric cover (mine is patterned to look like stone), and foam
beneath (the hard-to-compress kind). And they're non-skid. I've also seen
ones for the keyboard that have a hard surface attached that slides UNDER
the keyboard to really keep it in place.

I'm not sure why I *don't* have problems - so many of my coworkers and
friends do. I've been typing since I was 12, and using computers daily
since I was 18. The only thing I can think of might be I spent 10 years
taking piano lessons - which are *extremely strict* about wrist position -
straight wrists, and smooth movements (my piano teacher had me do scales
with a silver dollar balanced on the back of my hand)....

I suppose a lot of it is medical predisposition, but I still feel extremely
lucky (knock wood).

-Jody