Re: Monitors

Subject: Re: Monitors
From: "David L. Bergart" <bodafu -at- CCVAX -dot- SINICA -dot- EDU -dot- TW>
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 13:34:06 +0800

>>What types of monitors are people using these days
>>for tech writing?

I use a NEC MultiSync 6FGp driven by a Matrox Ultima video card. Twenty-one
inches is great for Windows, I can display an entire page nearly full-size
in Word and still have useful desktop off to the side, but it is
uncomfortably large for DOS text-based programs. Seventeen inches is a good
compromise. I tried a Viewsonic before getting the NEC. I was *not*
impressed by the out-of-the-box image quality; the convergence was poor and
the dealer refused to align it. I hear that they are well respected, but I
think that their quality control is not tight enough. The Matrox card is very
quick and very expensive (luckily, my employer is richer than I am). If I was
dipping into my own pocket, I'd probably go with an S3card - lots of bang for
the buck and good compatibility.

David

David L. Bergart bodafu -at- ccvax -dot- sinica -dot- edu -dot- tw bodafu -at- TWNAS886 -dot- bitnet
Copy oddity^h^h^h^h^h^heditor, Botanical Bulletin of Academia Sinica, Taiwan