Mickey's shorts

Subject: Mickey's shorts
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 16:54:56 IDT

Here's a question I'd sure like help on.

What names can I use for the buttons on a mouse, as I document
an application that runs in the Microsoft Windows environment?

I don't want to call them Left and Right, because the Windows user may
have them configured in reverse.

I don't want to number them 1 and 2, because though many mice have
only two buttons (Mickey, for example, has only two on his shorts)
some mice have three. (My #2 would be their #3.)

I don't want to call them by the in-some-places-traditional names
Select and Menu, because in my particular application the, er,
proximal button selects individual items while the distal button
invokes the Select command.

And I don't want to call them proximal and distal either.

When you switch the button functions in Windows, you see an L and
an R switch places on the screen. I could call the buttons the L
button and the R button, but I wouldn't trust the user to understand
that terminology anywhere pages away from where it's explained.

Any suggestions?

PS - Has anyone else besides me, subscribed to e-mailed news from the White
House, suddenly stopped receiving it? It couldn't be that they've
already noticed I'm late with my tax return...
Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- dcl-see -dot- co -dot- il
SEE Technologies Ltd. | Voice: +972-9-507102, ext. 230 (work),
Box 544 | +972-9-552411 (home)
46105 Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-509118
"You can't judge right by looking at the wrong." - Willie Dixon