Re: E-Primer

Subject: Re: E-Primer
From: Sue Stewart <suepstewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 21:39:41 EDT

>>Actually, our style guide frowns on using "displays" as an
>>intransitive verb. Anyone else subscribe to that
>>prohibition?<<

Me, me!! My reaction to "The program manager window displays" is UGH.

This is a case of distorting the language simply to avoid a perfectly
ordinary, understandable (and not blame-avoiding) passive. For heavens sake,
folks, what is wrong with "The program manager window is displayed"?
(Assuming you can't agree with "Appears" for the magical reason or whatever.)
The user really doesn't care who or what causes this to happen.

Use passive when it is the best way to communicate. Use active the rest of
the time. Easy rule. suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com