PASSIVE VOICE

Subject: PASSIVE VOICE
From: Paula Steinhart <psteinha -at- CYMBAL -dot- AIX -dot- CALPOLY -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 20:15:32 -0700

how are we defining passive voice. it used to be considered limited
to "it is...
and "there are..." constructions. some of what i've been reading here,
i.e. the "windows" debate, aren''t
really passive voice. after all, don't
we also have to be concerned with using passive words to commit an
action? When we accept "some mistakes were made." we're really accepting
a corruption of the language i think. old john s. made the mistakes!
and that sentence has more vitality and life than the "some mistakes..."
sentence.
paula steinhart (psteinha -at- oboe -dot- aix -dot- calpoly -dot- edu)