Technical Writing Career Info

Subject: Technical Writing Career Info
From: Kathy Fletcher <U3D5C -at- WVNVM -dot- BITNET>
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 14:58:27 EDT

One of my student members of our local STC chapter is finishing up a project
for her masters degree in journalism. The project, supported by the West
Virginia University Career Services Center, is a resource manual for students
interested in technical writing. This manual will be placed in the Career
Services Center for students to refer to.

We need some help with the section profiling companies that hire technical
writers. I would greatly appreciate if you could reply to me or to the list
with any information about typical job descriptions and expected duties,
and how to best prepare for a technical writing career with your company
(what kind of degrees, coursework, experiences, computer tools etc.)

We are also interested in finding out about any internship opportunities for
students (both paid and unpaid internships are of interest).

Please include a personnel address that students may contact if they are
interested in your company (if possible).

Thanks

Kathy Fletcher, Employment Manager and Newsletter Editor,
WV Chapter, STC
and
Kelly A. Smith, WVU School of Journalism & WVU Career Services Center
student member, WV Chapter, STC