Re: E-Primer: pronouncing "primer"

Subject: Re: E-Primer: pronouncing "primer"
From: Andreas Ramos <andreas -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 14 May 1994 12:18:43 -0700

> Arthur Comings <atc -at- corte-madera -dot- geoquest -dot- slb -dot- com> writes:
> >It's amazing how many people don't realize that "primer" (a small book
> >used to bring you up to speed on something) is pronounced "primmer" --
> >not PRIME-er, as you would if it were an undercoat for a paint job.

> Not in British English it isn't - personally I can't see any reason for
> pronouncing it 'primmer' but language doesn't follow steadfast rules
> does it?

> Helen Sargan
> Edinburgh University
> UK

I never heard my Tennessee grade school teachers say "preemer". They said
"now y'all open your primers". My 5 pound dictionary does indeed use
"preemer". Arthur: do you pronounce it preemer or primer? Where do you
live? Where did you grow up?

yrs,
andreas
Andreas Ramos, M.A. Heidelberg Sacramento, California