Re: Cost of the STC Annual Conference

Subject: Re: Cost of the STC Annual Conference
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 May 1994 07:32:05 CDT

Hi, Albert!

The cost of conference admission is not too high for most
members of Lone Star Chapter as evidenced by the large number of
them who attended last year's conference in Dallas, TX. The cost
most of us cannot afford is for travel and lodging. STC has no
responsibility for or influence on T&L costs. STC negotiates what
group rate discounts it can, but the costs remain between $1000 and
$2000 for T&L.

My employer sent 5 employees to the Dallas conference for
the same money it cost to send one employee to the 1992 conference.
This year, again, we are sending only one person to the conference.
T&L for that one person are expected to equal 4 times the admission
fee.

Like most professional organizations, STC holds its conferences
in different cities each year. This enables local members to take
advantage of having to pay only their admission fee to attend.
Granted, only the larger chapters seem able to sponsor STC conferences,
but that is a fact of fiscal life.

Perhaps we could promote an attendance fund for academics
at the chapter level. A chapter might be able to pay part or all of
a student chapter sponsor's costs of attending the annual conference.

Do not forget the regional and chapter conferences. Members
have three chances each year to attend a conference, present a paper
or workshop, and network with other technical communicators.

If a chapter cannot afford to host it's own physical
conference, why not organize a "virtual conference?" A chapter
could arrange a conference by either Computer Managed Conference
via a computer Bulletin Board System (BBS) or telephone conference.
We might all push for virtual attendance at the physical conferences
via telephone or computer conferencing systems. Auction houses
provide such service for distant bidders.

We are, after all, a communications society. Let's try
using the communications systems available to us to help defray
costs and increase benefits to members who cannot attend physically.

Please consider it for future conferences.

Best Regards!

Chuck Banks
--
|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411
STC Mail: cbanks -at- talkdallas -dot- com