Primmer/Primer

Subject: Primmer/Primer
From: Mike Christie <mikec -at- SYNTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 May 1994 08:52:41 PDT

I don't think anyone up until now even brought up "preemer." Andreas,
did you really mean "preemer" as in "preemie," slang for a premature
baby? My Webster's 10th offers "primmer" (as in prim and proper) and
(cheifly Brit, as per Helen's comment) "PRIME-er" as in "prime time"
Unless your 5 pound dictionary is Websters 2nd or 3rd, or the Random
House, I wouldn't trust it. Most of the others of that bulk tend to
be reprints, out of date, and not very reliable.

By the way, you didn't suggest the pronunciation used when you were
told "now y'all open your primers." Did they say,as I suspect,
"primmers"?

Mike Christie
Technical Writer
Syntelligence Systems, Inc.