White House e-mail

Subject: White House e-mail
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 10:58:21 IDT

Two people asked me what e-mail services are available from the
White House. My answers bounced back from them both. For
them & whoever else is interested...

There's some e-mail disruption at my own end, so I haven't tried to
resubscribe to the White House stuff yet, but I did send an inquiry
to one address that seemed to have a human being at the other end
and these are extracts from the response I got:--

-- Quote --

You can (...) ask for help from the automated server. Send an email
query as follows:

To: Clinton-Info -at- Campaign92 -dot- Org
Subject: HELP

The server will respond by sending you a detailed form that will guide
you through the process of signing up for the various distribution
streams. As you will quickly discover, there is a automatic form
processing interface that parallel the quick and easy subject line
commands discussed here. More detailed help is available by sending an
email query as follows:

To: Clinton-Info -at- Campaign92 -dot- Org
Subject: Please Help!

----------- Quote regarding a separate service for press releases --

Following are instructions on how to subscribe and/or to unsubscribe
[ to daily press releases ]. Note that all commands must be the *ONLY*
information contained in the BODY of your message.

To subscribe
Send a message to -- almanac -at- esusda -dot- gov
In the body, type -- subscribe wh-summary

To Unsubscribe
Send a message to -- almanac -at- esusda -dot- gov
In the body, type -- unsubscribe wh-summary

If you have any questions about these summaries, please contact

wh-admin -at- esusda -dot- gov

Back issues of the summaries can be retrieved from almanac -at- esusda -dot- gov

send wh-summary catalog

Back issues (2 months) of the White House documents

send white-house catalog

-------- And here's information about yet a third service --

we are proud
to announce the Internet address for obtaining White House
documents and publications. The address is:

publications -at- whitehouse -dot- gov

To receive instructions for obtaining documents, please send a
request to the above address. In the body of the message, type
"Send Info" (without quotes); no other text is necessary. The
instructions will be sent to you automatically. You will then be
able to search for and receive a list of documents by simply e-
mailing your request, as outlined in the instructions. Once you
have received your list and made your selection, our publications
server will mail the information you have requested within a
matter of minutes. We would like to hear your reactions to this
new offering. Send comments/suggestions to:

publications-comments -at- whitehouse -dot- gov

- - - -

All this stuff is one-way traffic, from the government to you.
You can write to Clinton as president -at- whitehouse -dot- gov and (it seems)
to Gore as vice -dot- president -at- whitehouse -dot- gov -dot- Supposedly the staff
reads your message for content and logs it, but all you get back
from Clinton is an e-mailed form letter. I never tried writing
to Gore.

(Read somewhere that Gore once did an "electronic town meeting"
on Internet, though...)

Good luck.
Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- dcl-see -dot- co -dot- il
SEE Technologies Ltd. | Voice: +972-9-507102, ext. 230 (work),
Box 544 | +972-9-552411 (home)
46105 Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-509118
"This week, as you know, we'll be focusing a large part of the
President's time on crime." -- Dee Dee Myers, 11 Apr 94