Re: cost of STC conference

Subject: Re: cost of STC conference
From: Chuck Martin <techwriter -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 09:45:36 PDT

Yes costs can be prohibitive. But they do not have to be.

Like many conferences, I'd imagine the STC conference is associated
with some major hotel chain, one that provides a "discount" for
conference attendees. Larger companies will pay that without blinking.
The rest of us look at the cost and gasp.

Me, if I were to go, I'd stay in a Motel 6 or something similar. That
is, if I didn't have a friend who'd let me stay for free. For years I've
made friends from around the country, and when I travel--even now that
I'v finished school--I'd rather stay with friends than pay outrageous
hotel costs. And I can eat on less than $20 a day as well.

What is a hotel except a place to sleep, shower, and store your stuff?
Anything more is fluff. I'm going to NYC for 10 days in June. I'll do
it on between $1000 and $1200, depending on whether a share a hotel
room with a few friends or find a friend to stay with. It takes just
a little ingenuity--and a release from the corporate expense account
mentality, a mentality that lets people pay without questioning costs,
without shopping around, and without realizing what's truly important.

Chuck Martin
Information Developer, IBM
techwriter -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com