Naps

Subject: Naps
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 12:45:44 PDT

You know, I sent mail to Pat on this subject, but until I read
Valarie's message about pregnant women sacking out on couches,
I forgot an anecdote from our own company.

When we had a larger office (and were low on employees to fill
it up), we had a dedicated First Aid Room. It contained a table
and chairs, a nice comfy futon with soft pillows, a little
refrigerator containing ginger ale and club soda, and a first
aid kit (with extra Advil). This room was in an inside office
and had blinds and a door, so people could actually go in there
and catch zz's in privacy. The excuse for this was that about 3
women in the company were pregnant, and felt they could handle
working OK but only if they had a chance to lie down when they
felt the need. The sense I got was that if other people found
it useful, that was fine, too, but I don't think it would've
been established if not for the pregnant women (and the fact that
we had the space).

When necessary, this room was also used for small meetings,
just so we didn't feel like total degenerates. And of course
we did giggle about it a little bit at first ("next, we need
a full time shrink . . .").

I admit, I still would've felt funny using it, unless I was
working late or something, but I did appreciate the fact
that it was there. Now our office is too small for us to
have a First Aid Room. :( Oh well -- it was nice while it
lasted!

Faith