Re: Commas

Subject: Re: Commas
From: "Vollbach, Elizabeth" <evollbach -at- CCLINK -dot- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 16:58:31 PST

Pam, I just read your question from the 16th. (I'm one of those who
attended the STC conference not because she's rich but because she was
lucky enough to have been subsidized.) Here is the most definitely,
without-question correct answer: The AP stylebook was written for
newswriting, not technical writing. While journalism can be said to
be related to tech writing, journalism is not tech writing. So not
all the same rules apply. (You may like the word "guidance," but I
like "rules.") AP says, "and" is enough, no need for a comma before
it. That's because newswriters prefer "clean copy"; they reason,
that's easier to read. It looks nicer in a newspaper. Whether you
agree or not, tech writers are not so concerned that they're writing
is pretty. So Strunk and White rule!

Bonni and Pam T.: This was just coincidence. :*) Beth