Re: cost of STC conference

Subject: Re: cost of STC conference
From: BurkBrick -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 15:53:07 EDT

Chuck Martin replied:
>Me, if I were to go, I'd stay in a Motel 6 or something similar. That
>is, if I didn't have a friend who'd let me stay for free. For years
>I've made friends from around the country, and when I
>travel--even now that I'v finished school--I'd rather stay with
>friends than pay outrageous hotel costs. And I can eat on less
>than $20 a day as well.

The only problem with this method is that conferences are generally located
downtown, and inexpensive hotels are located on the outskirts. This means you
either have to rent a car, figure out the public transportation (which in
many cases isn't awful), or borrow your friend's car. If you get a car, you
have to figure out where to (and how to pay for) parking.

I met someone else on a limited budget at this year's STC, and he did the
outskirts of town motel. He did save money, but he also had a 20-minute ride
on public transportation to get to and from the hotel and events.

I guess it depends on your priorities - to me, the most important part of the
conference besides the sessions was meeting people. In order to do that, I
felt it was important to be close to where the majority of people were
staying.

However, if we could convince STC to have conferences on the outskirts . . .

Barb